Friday 30 January 2015

MY PEOPLE DON REACH HERE!




I look at the image at top of this post and I'm thinking this is possibly the least aesthetically pleasing image I've posted to the date.
Or maybe I'm wrong, while some may look at this half eaten meal and their mouth starts to drool with hunger others may think 'yuck, how disgusting what's that heap of white congealed gunk doing on the plate besides those black things with that greenish slimey gooey stuff'. One thing for sure though is the image will bring different thoughts to different people.
You obviously know where I'm going with this one!

Yes 'my people' have arrived
with their love for excessive calorie laden carbohydrates, red meat and fat, coupled with an entrenched dislike for salad, anything fat-free or healthy options! Any nutritionists in the building, to help me out here?

Maybe I should speak for myself as I'm guilty as charged, I remember an outing to a posh Restaurant on Park Lane many moons ago, the scene is set:
Seasonally inspired modern French haute cuisine created by Head Chef, musician playing piano, everywhere golden, carpet pile so thick my shoes are sinking into it, we have a highly sought table overlooking the window with stunning views over the London skyline, elegant surroundings with a spectacular backdrop. Every girls dream right?

I'm sitting there feeling really hungry, I've starved myself all day for this meal. All this glitz and glam is lost on me and in my head I'm singing 'all I am saaaaaying.....give me some food'. Waiter turns up, menu looks way too complicated everything is either 'sitting on a bed' of something or strange words; walnut, Roquefort, truffle, celeriac & onion jus, vinaigrette and purée (not tin tomato o) glare at me. See me, see wahala!

Eventually I spot the words 'fish' and 'bacon' in the same sentence and think 'ah ha I can't go wrong here'. If only I knew! The meal is served however the much anticipated bacon is cut to size of maggi cubes and there are only four pieces, Same thing with the fish! Don't get me wrong we found the food tasty, but it just wasn't enough to fill my belly. To add pepper to injury, towards the end of the evening the Head Chef comes out from the kitchen to greet the diners and they start to applaud him! And I'm thinking 'applaud for what?' After starter, main course and dessert my belly is still rumbling, and with the money spent here today we could literally have fed The five thousand and I'm not even full, all I want to do is get home and reinforce my tummy with eba!

Now picture this scenario, two weeks ago my friend 'Abeni' arrives at my place on a Friday evening to spend the weekend, she suggests that we go to watch a film, I'm thinking 'how boring' and suggest a visit to an African joint (restaurant/bar) I know of 'somewhere in London', (sorry guys on this one, I will not be disclosing location!). 'Abeni' is somewhat sceptical as she prefers more upmarket set-ups, however reluctantly she agrees. We doll ourselves up and set out, 1 hour and 30 mins later we arrive at our destination (yes, it's that far!). 
We enter and 'ghen-ghen' scene is set:
Restaurant is dim-lit, we have our folk singer, social crusader, renowned actor and one time lecturer, he's playing his famous keyboard in the corner, crooning out some cool old Skool Yoruba tunes, velvet wine coloured curtains draped over the windows and walls, carpet is well worn and slightly thread bare. In fact you would feel you'd been transported down-town back home. The restaurant is half full (or maybe half empty, depending on how you view things!), people from all walks of life are trooping in, greetings of 'my chief', 'my chairman', 'ore mi', 'Haja mi', 'oh baby' are being bantered around the room, we also have a Nollywood actress in the house! The smell of authentic African cooking seeps out from the kitchen. Tables are adorned with the most essential item, can you guess? Toothpick!! 
I'm in my comfort-zone and thinking 'Honey I'm home'!!!

As our orders are taken; one plate of awo (guinea fowl), a plate of fish with fried plantain, (no detailed description needed) 2 portions of igbin (snail), 2 bottles of Malta Guinness and a jug of chapman (anyone who doesn't know what chapman is, should kindly ask Google!!!) 'Abeni' is not too impressed and asks me 'why is there no choice of how hot we want the food, whether medium, hot or extra hot?' I just roll my eyes and tell her if she likes she can request for her fish in tomato ketchup!

Abeni looks around the restaurant, points to the skirting board and says 'that's the problem I have with our people see the dust and chipped corner, we lack ethics of maintenance & refurbishment'. I'm thinking 'Madame Sanitary Inspector' is it skirting board you've come to lick here this evening or plate?'
I go to 'ease' myself, when I return she asks me what's the loo like and whether there was toilet roll there!! I reply 'What's the need for toilet roll?? Sebi there's a plastic blue/white kettle there with water inside?' (for those of you that understood that part, I made it up but guess it made a few of you laugh, there was no plastic kettle O!!)
Abeni complains that the legs of the table where we sit are unsteady and wobbly, so I take bottle top off my drink, bend down under the table and 'shock' (wedge) it there, problem solved! She shakes her head. Eventually our food arrives, hot and steamy. She peers at plate, raises eyebrows and smiles. Before I know it there's a pile of fish and awo bones mounted on plates besides each of us (apologies to any vegetarian in the building) yeah right vegetarian!!

To cut a very, very, very long story short, we both have such a great time, over the course of the evening 'Complainant Abeni' has lightened up, singing along to ".....oni dodo, oni moin-moin..." and wriggling on her chair to the beat of the music. I literally have to drag her out of this place some 4 hours later as she's having time of her life but I'm tired and need my beauty sleep!


Now over to you guys, your comments are what do it for me. I'm sure you've had similar experiences to this my 'Tale of Two Restaurants' and you know how we people like our food. 

The first five commentators on last week's post Because I'm your mother that's why!  Namely Soji, Foluke, Tola, BMW & Aburo Remi have each won an exclusive Risi By Name Blog hamper.
Double honours also awarded to Anonymous (25 Jan @ 13:58) and Mummy Dun for the most imaginative suggestions of Baba dudu and Tree Top drink as items for the hamper.

Till next Friday! Have a great weekend.

Note to 'Abeni', I know you're coming for me xxx


28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whao wonderful analysis. Thank you for shedding light into this. Deji.

Anonymous said...

KPOM ^2

Alatenumo X

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

Anonymous Don start again!

Anyway aha if they want to" haute cuisine" you then you must retaliate with "Akara on a bed of Ogi"
If that fails revert to "idarin oniyan" aka " Quarter pounder"
he he!!!

Anonymous said...

I am guilty like you because l also prefer 'naija' food to 'oyinbos'. Like you though their food taste fine, it is just not filling. My family always look for African Restaurant when we go on holidays, and the children are no exception. Though my daughter will not mind eating McDonald's fries/nuggets and pizzas for the duration of our stay, but dad considers these as junks and will insist on her eating a bit of African meal. For me naija food is great. The only problem l see apart from presentation is the excess oil and salt. The Yorubas are guilty of cooking with excess oil. Also our food is mainly carbohydrates - yam, pounded yam, eba, foofoo, amala, rise etc. I am not a nutritionist but l think we need to reduce our carbohydrates intake by reducing our food to half portion of what we normally eat. We should eat this with lots of vegetables both cooked and uncooked. We should also take lots of fruits with our meal, and we will be okay. FTA

Ajetheboy said...

I think you are really getting used to this and enjoying it. Great. Also, I like your concept, your posts have so far been home grown. Normal everyday personal experiences that we can relate to. Keep it up.

Ajetheboy

Anonymous said...

"so I take bottle top off my drink, bend down under the table and 'shock' (wedge) it there, problem solved! She shakes her head." I really like that part of shocking the table. Ola, you have really done well with this blog. I felt I was with you in the restaurant.

Anonymous said...

I likes.

Alatenumo X

Anonymous said...

Well spoken ! I must admit that no food in the world makes me salivate as much as naija food o !

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of your taste of Africa! Next time call me I might be persuaded to join you, but will pass on the snails!!

Dee

Big Sis S said...

'Applaud for what?' LOOL

I'm not a fan of those posh restaurants either, I mean they're not bad but nothing can ever beat Nigerian food!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy any cuisine, particularly my Niger succulent delicacies; the ones that make you mouth watering before set in front of you. Esther

MUMMYDUN said...

What a lengthy piece but I couldn't abandon it midway. immediately i saw the length, I put the phone down and slept of.

Sorry Abeni, I hope this is not your real name cos by the time I finish with U, Risi would have landed into trouble with U. Have U ever ĺived in Naija? Are you just knowing that Nigerians lack maintenance culture? Have U never eaten at a buka in Lagos? I bet you dont know that from inside black pot cometh nice white pap. I dont appreciate all this half cooked western menus. Africans are better cooks and chefs.

I beg my people home made food is better if u r a good cook or u av a great wife who appreciates family and cooks well. Once in a while, eating out is great but remember not to judge a book by its cover. The buka may not be fantastic and the tables and chairs may be wobbley but U will defo get mouth watering and finger licking food.
Have a good week all and nice one Risikat.

Anonymous said...

aunti e rora now!
Why is it d wife dat as to be a good cook nd not d horzband? Dat one an kolomentality o

Anonymous said...

Nice one. And quite true but then I might be biased as I only like Niger food. Really and it is about the food.
Awaiting the next post - sure the article would appeal to Buhari- lol!

lolee xo said...

to be honest, regardless of setting Nigerian food wins every time - you always leave happy and full

Anonymous said...

Talking about the blue and white stripped kettle.......

Let's debate toilet roll or tamba which one is preferable?

Tenumo

Anonymous said...

Pls can somebody tell me what chapman is? Google says its an occupational English name!

Anonymous said...

Glad I am finally able to post my comments. You could not have expressed your experience with abeni any better. I love the home grown, tiwa n tiwa African concept. I am loving it. I would have felt the same as Abeni, would however come to terms with naija mentality/maintenance culture by the end of the night.
I am not a fan of oyinbo cuisine either. Apron and eba floats my boat any day any time. Amala and egusi is heaven. Oyinbo cuisine is agonising. It leaves you wanting a lot more than when you first started with the meal. Whatever you alway leave a naija restaurant full and happy. Well expressed, well analysed. Looking forward to the next . It's me.

Anonymous said...

I can sort of guess the age range of the majority of your commentators so far. Their age range could be referred to as "dated" "past their time" "no romance going for them". We all know we niger people go to those kind of posh places for the setting and the romance; and not the food! for hot lyrics to be spit for the first time or for those already in the relationship/ marriage: for the lyrics to be rekindled and re spat again not the food!
As for Abeni; I am sure her mind is renewed.
And for all the goody goody great wives ; listen to Aunty Ogundimu and continue slaving off in the kitchen to prepare that great meal so your gold stars from your hubbies can abound !

Anonymous said...

What a great piece. You made both settings so vivid!

Anonymous said...

The minute I saw the picture, I started visualising what I had in my fridge. Can I make this dish now? Not sure that would have been the same reaction if you had a picture of the first meal. Good blog.

Anonymous said...

Why fore art thou hatest me so? Knowest not thou that one cannot help one's posh status?

Abeni

Anonymous said...

This is a topic that is so close to the bottom of my heart...."food".... In my household naija food takes preference over all others, but as a rule, we try to make sure we have balance diet. On the days we have to eat non-naija food I always refer to them as 'medenmeden'. As a result of eating too much of these naija foods I am now a man with four months old pregnancy and I have been trying so much to get rid of this pot belly. To help my situation, my twenty two year old daughter decided to give me a marching order to visit my GP. I am almost thirteen and half stones in weight but my GP diagnosed me with "obesity" (the funny thing is my GP is a lady in her late thirties between size twenty six and thirty). She instantly gave me a free referral to the gym. Unfortunately for me, right in front of the gym is a bus stop with two different buses to the local naija restaurant. I end up leaving home four times weekly to attend the gym (once a week to the gym & three times to the local naija restaurant). To them at home, I attend the gym religiously four times week......Obviously my situation is not being help at all but my love for naija is mind satisfying. No complaint...mo wa pa.....Demola

Risi By Name said...

Unku Demola, please could you kindly email address of your GP, on 2nd thoughts just forward details of the restaurant. Thanking you in anticipation.

Anonymous said...

This title 'my people don reach here' I nor understand the title with the Naija buku una go how they relate ( I for think say the title for bi I don reach house or home the reason being say you go enjoy Naija style)

I Go talk about all those fake britico when na either long stay or marriage give them paper. You see people I don't want to be judgemental but make una chose one you can't be both (Naija and Britico) it was said by you britico you can't eat your cake and have it back. Abi nor be so?

You see as bible talk am 'As for me and my household we shall serve the Lord'

So called Britico think about it

This na all I get to say

NA me you all know as MOA (I dey do Naija style for other people time if you know what I mean)

Anonymous said...

Why can't anyone be both. You can be whatever you want....

Oyinade said...

Hey Sis, this article is pukka! It had me in stitches. I can so relate with it. Naija food anytime precedes all this western cuisine especially when I am famished. I have some oyinbos cousins in Hull and anytime I visit na so so tactfulness and civility I dey apply because their food no be here o. Even when uncle's wife decides to give me a treat, I manage to eat the food solely because of her efforts. You just need to see that look of satisfaction on her face implying "I have been able to give my visiting inlaw from Nigeria a special treat" And to think I had swallowed all the food with water after every bit like a cocktail of pills makes it antithetical.

For the white and blue plastic kettle, please say "Agee" in Yoruba.Lol

As for the hidden location which you have refused to disclose, I put it to you that it cannot be any other place but Tunji Oyelana’s Emukay on Camberwell Road, London. Abi I lie.

Oyinade said...

To Anonymous@ 10:39. I really do not understand your comment and I wouldn't have bothered to reply but then I just thought it is appropriate to set things right. Perhaps it is good you know that your reference to this audience as "dated","past their time" and "have no romance going for them" is so hateful and toxic. Even if the audience of this blog were geriatrics, I don't think it is in your place to make this type of noxious remark, Common. All those three derogatory expressions do not in one bit describe me o. Now don't even start to make some sweeping generalizations about this matter because not all Nigerians share your sentiment, at least I don't.

And what exactly did Aunty Ogundimu said to warrant this comment from you. If I desire to passionately slave off in the kitchen to fix great meals for the hubster, how is that a problem or shouldn't that be my business.

Please let's not abuse privileges at all.Blog comments give us an opportunity to create a discussion, further building a community in the process. It is a privilege given to every single individual who has a bit of knowledge on a topic and then asked to give his or her opinion or shared experience about the topic. Now it is good to disagree with the opinion of others because if we all agreed on everything, conversations would get pretty boring. However, what I find rather bothersome is when people cross the line of rationality and civility and start to spew venom and not comments that add any value to the conversation whatsoever.

You know what darling, I honestly think we all deserve an apology for this indiscretion on your part. #let's love and not hate#